Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Writing Habit - Day 2

Set a goal for daily writing that you can maintain throughout the plan.  How long must you write?  What kind of writing qualifies?  Make your goal realistic enough to succeed, but large enough to stretch you - just a little.

So, Day 1 was a couple of weeks ago.  I had intended to write every day.  Like all things, I begin again.  My goal for writing is daily, for 15 minutes minimum.  For starters, I want to journal, and eventually move toward writing about the myriad of topics that interest me.  I think just writing daily is going to be a stretch.

I have been keeping up so-so with my other January goals.  I have just hit the midway point.  I have been almost completely successful at waking up by 7am.  Starting tomorrow, I'm going to push it back to 6:30am.  That is not going to be easy.  It is so very worth it though.  I have been able to get really good work/thinking done in the morning.  It is nice to start the day easy instead of in a rush.  I've really been enjoying it, honestly.  Especially having some quiet time just for me to be alone (Natalie typically sleeps in). Eventually I want to use my morning time for meditating and taking Sammie for a walk/run.  Right now I'm just getting into the habit of getting up earlier.

Where I fail (and it also leads to failing my no-coffee goal) is if I drink/stay out late the night before.  Especially the drinking part.  I feel that I need a little caffeine to crank me up to "functional".  Today was just such a day.  Natalie and I went out for beers before having dinner last night, and then all judgement went out the window.  Three drinks, 10 hot-wings, and a sausage pizza later, I went directly to bed without drinking any water.  Oops.  I managed to get up for yoga this morning.  But by 5pm, I was feeling sad, brain was not firing so good, and I caved into a mocha from Johnson Public House.  It was decadent.  Long term, I think I will mostly drink white tea and rarely use a little coffee for perks when I need it.  Caffeine can be a good tool, but a bad habit.

One of my monthly give-up goals is probably going to have to be alcohol.  It really takes the wind out of my sails.

Finally, I have made zero progress on my BHAG: Guatemala Estate.  I need to get going on that again. Ugh.  Action is hard.  But this is a good way to get started: Zen Productivity.  It's amazing how anticipation and procrastination is so very painful, and the actual doing isn't all that bad at all in the end.  Silly brain, all worked up over nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment