Thursday, January 2, 2014

My first day of a writing habit.

This is from Blanche's wedding reception - 2013


Why do you want to develop a writing habit? Do you want to write a book, blog more consistently, be a better communicator? Knowing why you are working on a writing habit will help fuel you when you start to lose momentum. So determine this first thing on Day 1. Hey, why not spend some time writing about why you want to start a writing habit?

----------
What we write is what becomes our reality. What we write is what we have chosen to remember, to record as history. It is the story we create and that we tell ourselves that becomes true. What is true about our life is what we choose to remember.

To date, I have been very good at starting new projects, new adventures, at times taking on more than I can handle, because I have been very afraid to be alone with my thoughts. Pausing and reflecting has caused me a lot of grief in the past. I have told myself very sad stories, some of them true, and some of them ignoring the beauty that was also there. So, I’ve kept myself busy to keep myself away from the process of reflecting and creating the story I want.

Why am I writing now? For starters, I think it is necessary for my personal growth and mental health, that I take time to reflect. I want to write a personal journal in which I can learn from my mistakes and celebrate my successes, so that I can explore curiosities and express gratitude. I also realize that this is my story, and the only one I get to be 100% witness to, and it deserves someone’s attention, mine.

Second, I want to become a better communicator and at some point want to expand into writing on scientific interests of mine, as well as arts, culture, health, mindfulness, etc….all the things that I am curious about in the world around me.

Lastly, at some point I’d like to open up and share these writings with others. I recently wrote a piece on the grief experienced when I most recently hurt my knee playing roller derby. I received such a beautiful out-pouring of gratitude from other skaters, athletes, and non-athletes who identified with the article. I remember several years ago, a teammate of mine casually mentioning that she was going to see her therapist that afternoon. I remember being somewhat shocked, she was completely un-shameful about admitting to needing a therapist to help her deal with her mental health!  I had so much fear in talking about it to anyone. If she hadn’t had the courage to open up like that, it would have taken even longer for me to take charge of my own mental health.  So I want to write to share my experience with others because sometimes….it helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment